Water Security Manager
Interested candidates are requested to send an updated two pages CV along with a motivation letter following the below link template to [email protected], no later than August 23, 2021. SAPPROS Nepal reserves the rights to cancel, postpone or modify the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
NOTE: While uploading any file: please make it sure the file name as: Name_ CV/ Name- Motivation letter. Please mention: Application for Water Security Manager in subject line.
Valid Till: August 23, 2021
SAPPROS Nepal is a national level non-governmental organization (NGO) established in September 1991. It is amongst the well recognized NGOs in Nepal. SAPPROS envisions a poverty-free Nepal where people engage themselves in innovative initiatives without having to worry about the basic livelihood matters. It works to improve the lives of small farmers and other disadvantaged communities by providing them opportunities for their socio-economic empowerment. Since its established, it outreached in 52 districts through intervention of various development activities and is currently working in 19 districts of the country. SAPPROS builds people’s organizations, mobilizes local resources, and promotes participatory planning and processes at the grassroots level. SAPPROS has reached more than 413,800 households through various activities. These range from literacy to saving mobilization, income generation, and provision of drinking water / irrigation supply systems. It has promoted different types of self-help groups, user groups, local NGOs, and saving and credit co-operatives.
|Position||Minimum required qualification|
|Water Security Manager||
Master’s degree in Water Resorce Management, Applied Science, Management, Economic Development, or other relevant fields with a Bachelor’s degree in an engineering-related field (i.e., Agriculture, Civil, Environmental, or equivalent field).
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS:
Position Title: Water Security Manager
Duty Station: Birendranagar, Surkhet (with a frequent field visit to BHAKARI working districts)
Mercy Corps Nepal as the prime organization has been implementing Multi-Year Emergency Food Security Activity named “BHAKARI” funded by USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Affairs, intending to enhance food and nutrition security, reduce future humanitarian caseload, and improve the resilience of communities to recurrent shocks in 6 districts (Mugu, Jumla, Kalikot, Surkhet, Achham, and Dailekh, with cluster hubs in Surkhet and Jumla) in the Karnali River Basin area. The program is somewhat built upon many of the successes of the Nepal team’s previous Food for Peace program which ended in January 2020, the PAHAL program, but with some new districts and a much heavier emphasis on emergency response. It includes program components of agriculture and market systems, disaster risk reduction, water for productive use, natural resources management, and a large emphasis on a gender and social inclusion approach, all with a highly integrated multi-sectoral approach. The program is a 3-year, $15 million programs across 6 districts in the hills and mountains of the Karnali River Basin of Nepal.
SAPPROS is one of the consortium partners in BHAKARI, responsible for Sustainable water interventions with a focus on installation, management, and maintenance of productive water projects, including multiple-use water systems, irrigation systems, rainwater harvesting, and irrigation storage and delivery systems in targeted RM/Wards/Communities of six districts of BHAKARI program through six local implementing partners in respective districts.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Water Security Manage will work full time in the Bhakari project based in Surkhet. Liaising with Kathmandu based Senior Water Security lead S/He will work directly with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) to help provide the overall leadership, management, and strategic vision to the implementation of water for productive use component of the BHAKARI. S/He will responsible for the overall management of the component including planning, coordination, and reporting, and will ensure that the program meets its targets and deliverables on-time and within budget.
S/he will work in close coordination with Surkhet, Kalikot and Jumla based technical team members of SAPPROS/BHAKARI in planning, monitoring, and reporting of the water for productive use component. S/he will provide technical backstopping support to Senior Irrigation Officers and District Coordinators for field level activities in close consultation with Senior Water Security Lead and Water Program Expert based in SAPPROS Kathmandu. S/he will be responsible to report line managers of BHAKARI as well as Senior Water Security Lead at SAPPROS.
The Water Water Security Manager will also be responsible for coordination with stakeholders for leveraging in water activities with the support of BHAKARI central, cluster, and districts team. S/he will also be responsible for the frequent field visits to provide technical backstopping and ensure quality program implementation. In addition to that S/he will support the capacity building of the Senior Irrigation Officers and implementing partners technical team in the Sustainable water intervention activities.
As gender equality and social inclusion (GESI), safeguarding, governance, and environmental sensitivity are cross-cutting and core components of BHAKARI, the Water Security Manager is required to own these components and ensure these components are integrated into his/her working area.
A. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1) Program Operations
- Lead and coordinate with Senior Irrigation Engineers and BHAKARI district team smooth operation of BHAKARI water for productive water use component.
- Liaise with and represent productive water use components at the center, to clusters and all other stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain professional and productive relationships with communities and local government.
- Serve as a key focal point for problem-solving in implementation of BHAKARI productive water use component and work closely with representatives of consortium and local partners at the central and regional level.
- Receive regular updates of water program activities from the Senior Irrigation Officers and District Coordinators to ensure activities are on schedule as outlined by the BHAKARI Team.
- Establish good coordination with government and non‐government stakeholders to prevent duplication of actions.
- Coordinate and support district/cluster level events related to technical capacity building training, development engineering documents and formats.
- Facilitate monitoring of field level project activities to be on time, target and budget, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Coordinate closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning focal points to generate and collect required information and data in the process of measuring results.
- Follow reporting requirements and report to the supervisor through appropriate means as required.
- Participate in team events as and when required.
- Facilitate the achievement by the partner team members of performance‐based targets and outcomes and lead efforts to approprative engineering design effective, proactive, and iterative M&E systems following the program’s logical framework and results chain measurement.
- Work with Mercy Crops United States based Technical Support Unit (TSU) and program staff to help documentation of process, achievements/impact of productive water component.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner to bring credit to SAPPROS and BHAKARI not to jeopardize its mission.
- Ensure proper integration of GESI aspects into BHAKARI productive water use component activities planning and implementation working closely with GESI team.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
3) ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES:
- SAPPROS team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, and transparency specifically to our beneficiaries while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
4) SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
- Directly Senoir Irrigation Officers, indirectly implementing partners technical team and closely work with Program Expert under the supervision of Senior Water Security Lead.
5) REPORTS DIRECTLY TO:
- Senior Water Security Lead, Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), satisfy the BHAKARI reporting requirement.
6) WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
- Senior Water Security Lead, Water Program Expert, Senior Irrigation Officers, Cluster Coordinators, District Coordinators, Component Managers/ Technical Advisors, Program Experts, BHAKARI Senior Management Team, District implementing partners team and Leaders from Local Stakeholders and community members.
B. REQUIRED SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Water Resorce Management, Applied Science, Management, Economic Development, or other relevant fields with a Bachelor’s degree in an engineering-related field (i.e., Agriculture, Civil, Environmental, or equivalent field).
- Specialized in drinking and productive water infrastructure with 5-7 years of relevant professional experience in management, planning, and construction of small and medium-sized water infrastructures, IWRM, and DRR infrastructure or Environmental Mitigation activities.
- Proven experience in planning, coordination, management, report writing, technical training, survey, design, cost estimating, and construction supervision of small and medium infrastructures development projects related to IWRM, DRR mitigation and domestic, and productive water use.
- Should have a thorough knowledge of participatory techniques and experience in designing and implementing programs with stakeholders engagement and a high level of community participation.
- Should have a through knowledge of water resource management with the past experiences on the multi-use water system (gravity and solar), innovative technologies and sound working knowledge of Auto CAD, GIS, and other engineering software.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments under tight deadlines and knowledge of working area will be highly preferred.
SAPPROS Nepal is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified Women, Dalits, Marginalized and person with disability are highly encouraged to apply for the position.
Only the short-listed candidates will be notified for the further assessment.
No telephone calls will be entertained.