Narrative Description of the Project
SAPPROS Nepal in partnership with the World Food Program (WFP) has been implementing Restoring Food and Nutrition Security and Building Resilient Livelihoods in Earthquake Affected Areas (Cash for work program-PRRO) project in district. Cash for Work (CfW) is the key activity of the project. As part of the Nuwakot implementation, agricultural activities, for income generation and food security are also being executed. Beneficiaries can receive up to NPR 17,000/ for up to 40 days of work. The work schemes are selected by the beneficiaries themselves, in community meetings.
- Restore food security and rebuild communities affected by the earthquake
- Support the restoration of livelihoods and enhance community resilience to future shocks
- Enhance the government capacity to monitor and to food security and natural disasters respond
- Rehabilitation & renovation of irrigation canals and drinking water supply
- Rehabilitation & renovation of rural road and foot trails
- Installation of multiple use of water systems, plastic tunnels, and micro irrigation technologies
- Training and support for the promotion of commercial vegetable farming
Implementation of CfW Schemes:
A total of 59 schemes are ongoing under Cash for Work in the working VDCs. As of end of April 2017, approximately 75% works of schemes have been completed. Out of 59 schemes 20 are 46 km long foot trails, 18 are irrigation canals which serve an area of 71 hectares of agricultural land, 15 are rural roads of 37 kms in length, 5 schemes are drinking water supplies with 30 tap posts and one is a village clinic building.
After completion of 20 days of work in selected schemes, total NPR 34,042,550 cash has been distributed to 4005 beneficiaries HHs of six working VDCs. Out of total beneficiaries 2568 were male and 1437 were female. A total 4222 beneficiaries worked for the first 20 days and cash distribution was planned for the same households.
Project Duration :
November 2016 to May 2017
Funding Agency :
World Food Programme (WFP)
Funding Amount :
NPR. 10,851,619 (USD 97,596)
Beneficiaries HH :
Project Area :
Chhap, Talakhu, Ghayngphedi, Sikharbesi, Urleni and Lachyang VDCs of Nuwakot District